Belden Inc. - Belden - was formed in July 2004 through the merger of Belden Inc. and Cable Design Technologies Corp. Belden is one of the largest U.S.-based manufacturers of high-speed electronic cables and focuses on products for the specialty electronics and data networking markets, including connectivity.
Founded by Joseph C. Belden in Chicago, in 1902, the Belden name has become synonymous with quality and innovation.
The first major breakthrough for Belden occurred in 1905 when, after much experimental work, "Beldenamel" insulation was created. This flexible enamel insulation would become the basis of the Company's early success. In 1910 the Company moved to larger quarters in Chicago and added rubber insulated wire to its product line.
The invention of the soft rubber plug in 1927 by a Belden engineer led to further expansion. Richmond, Indiana, was selected as the site of a new plant designed especially for manufacturing electrical wire. This new plant started production in 1928.
During World War II and the decade and a half of growth which followed it, a number of buildings were added to the Richmond Plant to allow for expansion. Wire mill operations were transferred from Chicago to Richmond to make the Richmond Plant completely independent and self-sufficient. This was Belden's largest manufacturing facility, at nearly 700,000 square feet, for over 70 years.
Belden manufactured strictly war materials by 1942, and its products were used in tanks, airplanes, mobile radios, submarines, ships, jeeps, and a variety of other machinery.
After the war, Belden began to clearly establish its leadership in wire and cable technology through research, engineering, and product development. The Company was one of the first wire producers to apply several plastic insulations to wire and cable. Belden sought market niches that required sophisticated and high quality products where value was added in insulation, cabling, shielding, and jacketing. From its inception, Belden has looked to its customers for cues on what to manufacture, how to manufacture it, and how to bring it effectively to the market.
In May 1980, the Company moved to its new headquarters located south of Richmond, Indiana. On September 8, 1980, Belden and Crouse-Hinds Company, a highly regarded manufacturer of electrical products located in Syracuse, New York, entered into a merger agreement that was completed on December 10, 1980. On April 10, 1981, Cooper Industries, with corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas, acquired the combined entity of Belden and Crouse-Hinds.
In October 1993 Belden once again became an independent public held entity with corporate offices located in St. Louis, Missouri. Belden pursued a growth strategy. The Company added several businesses to its Electronics business mix. In 1995 Belden purchased companies with operations located in The Netherlands. In 1996 Belden announced its purchase of Intech Cable, Inc. and the acquisition of Alpha Wire Division of Alpha Wire Corporation. In 1997 Belden added Cowen Cable located in Leominster, Massachusetts. In 1998 the Company acquired Olex Communications Cable in Melbourne, Australia and Elektro-Isolierwerke GmbH (EIW), a leading German manufacturer. In 1999, the Company added two businesses acquired from Siemens, located in Austria and Hungary.
Also in 1999, Belden completed the acquisition of the former ATT copper cabling facility, then known as Cable Systems International. In 2000, the former UK metallic cable operation of Corning was acquired expanding the communications business.
In 2002 Belden acquired the Norcom business providing telecommunications cable for Canadian and U.S. customers. In 2003, Belden closed the Norcom plant and discontinued manufacturing operations in Australia and Germany.
In 2004, Belden exited the North American telecommunications cable business and closed the principal North American telecom cable plant.
Belden's revenues grew from under $400 million in 1993 to more than $1.1 Billion in 2000, and were $827 million in 2003, the year prior to the merger with Cable Design Technologies.
Cable Design Technologies Corp.
Cable Design Technologies Corporation or CDT was incorporated on May 18, 1988 with its principal office located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Some of its operating companies, however, are over 100 years old.
CDT's predecessor company, Intercole, Inc., a Company traded on the American Stock Exchange, acquired the West Penn Wire Corporation in 1985. Also in 1985, Intercole was acquired by the Northern Group which subsequently took it private. In 1988, the Company underwent a recapitalization pursuant to which Golder, Thoma, Cressey Fund II purchased a controlling interest in the Company, with the Northern Group retaining a smaller interest in the Company.
Acquisitions were an important part of CDT's growth strategy. In March 1986, the Company acquired Mohawk Wire & Cable Corporation, a cable manufacturer which had established relationships with companies involved in the early stages of computer network development. In December 1988, the Company purchased Montrose Products Company, a specialty electronics cable company with established relationships with IBM and other major purchasers of computer interconnect products. In August 1990, the Company established CDT International to respond to increasing demand for data transmission cable products in international markets. In May 1991, CDT expanded its international presence by purchasing Anglo-American Cables Ltd., a European cable distributor. In March 1993, the Company established Phalo/CDT to further increase its production capabilities and broaden its product line. In May 1994, the Company acquired all the outstanding stock of Nya NEK Kabel AB, located near Gothenburg, Sweden, to enter the sophisticated broadcast, CATV and antenna cable markets and to expand network systems cable manufacturing capacity into Europe. In June 1995, the Company purchased all of the operating assets of Manhattan Electric Cable Corporation based in Rye, New York, to enhance sales of specialty electronic cable for industrial automation and robotic applications. In August 1995, the Company purchased Cole-Flex Corporation of West Babylon, New York, to combine its sleeving and tubing capabilities with Manhattan/CDT. In September 1995, the Company purchased the operating assets of the Raydex Division of Volex Group, p.l.c., in the United Kingdom to provide additional international manufacturing capabilities of specialty and high performance electronic cable for computer network systems, telecommunication, aerospace, CATV, and industrial applications.
On February 2, 1996, the Company acquired the assets of Northern Telecom Limited's ("Nortel") communication cable and IBDN network structured wiring products businesses ("NORDX") in Canada. On June 4, 1996, the Company acquired the stock of Cekan A/S, Denmark, a manufacturer of high-performance telecommunication connectors. On July 25, 1996, the Company acquired, in exchange for shares of its common stock, X-Mark Industries of Washington, Pennsylvania, a manufacturer of specialized metal enclosures for network systems. On March 14, 1997 the Company acquired 51% of the outstanding stock of Stronglink, Pty. Ltd., Australia, to enhance international distribution of network and specialty cable in the Australian marketplace. The Company subsequently increased its ownership of Stronglink/CDT to 75%. On April 7, 1997, the Company acquired the assets of Dearborn Wire & Cable, L.P. and its affiliates, Dearborn West, L.P. and Thermax Wire, L.P. (collectively, "Dearborn/CDT"), a manufacturer of specialty electronic cable for instrumentation and control, commercial aviation, automotive and marine applications, and component assemblies for wireless applications. In September 1997, the Company acquired all the outstanding stock of Barcel Acquisition Corporation of Irvine, California, a manufacturer of high-performance specialty cable for commercial and military aviation applications. In March 1998, the Company acquired all the outstanding stock of a cable company that came to be known as Orebro, in Orebro, Sweden, a manufacturer of custom designed wire and cable for wireless communication, robotics and other industries. On August 3, 1998, the Company acquired 80% of HEW-Kabel Heinz Eilentropp GmbH & Co. KG and related entities ("HEW-Kabel/CDT") located in Wipperfurth, Germany, a manufacturer of specialty cable for process control, robotics, transportation, medical and other specialty applications. On September 25, 1998, the Company purchased the assets of Network Essentials, Inc. ("Red Hawk") of Milpitas, California. Red Hawk is a provider of fiber optic products for voice, video and data networks. In March 1999, the company acquired the Tennecast Company of Barberton, Ohio, a manufacturer of precision aluminum tire castings and computer designed and machined mold models utilized for tire castings.
On February 24, 2000, the Company purchased 85% of the outstanding stock ofIndustria Tecnica Cavi S.R.L., and entered into an agreement topurchase the remaining 15% of the stock at a later date. ITC/CDT is an Italian manufacturer of coaxial cable. In April 2000, CDT acquired BoseLAN, adding high-performance passive and active fiber optic and electronic components to its product portfolio, including multiplexers, switches, media converters and Ethernet test equipment used in a wide array of voice, video and data connectivity applications.
On March 31, 2000, the Company acquired the outstanding stock of Hamilton USA, Inc. (subsequently called BoseLAN), a Silicon Valley company located in Fremont, California. BoseLAN is a developer of high performance electronic and fiber optic components.
On December 4, 2001, the Company purchased 83.6%, and subsequently, through July 31, 2002, purchased an additional 10.6%, of the outstanding stock of Kabelovna Decin-Podmokly, a.s., ("KDP/CDT") based in the Czech Republic. KDP is a manufacturer of communication, fiber optic, medical, signal and control cable and cable harnesses.
On August 15, 2001, the Company acquired 100% of the outstanding stock of A.W. Industries, ("AWI"), based in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. AWI is a designer and manufacturer of connectors for the telecommunication and other industries.
Belden EMEA Headquarters
5928 PG Venlo, 5900 AA, Postbus 9
Please contact us with your questions, feedback, and inquiries